Larry Li
16,065
December 26, 2025Larry Li

The Tyranny of Ambiguity: You Are Not Lazy, You Are Facing an Infinite Monster

We do not die from laziness; we die from ambiguity. Clarity is the only survival strategy you need.

#Achieve
The Tyranny of Ambiguity: You Are Not Lazy, You Are Facing an Infinite Monster

The Tyranny of Ambiguity: You Are Not Lazy, You Are Facing an Infinite Monster

模糊的暴政:你不是懒惰,你面对的是无限的怪物

我曾经以为我是被诅咒的拖延症患者。
在研究了认知科学和尝试了无数方法后,我整理出了这套让我重建秩序的系统。
这不是关于生产力,这是关于自我救赎。

This is not just an article about how to make a to-do list.
这不仅仅是一篇关于怎么列清单的文章。

This is a cognitive manifesto about how your brain works, why you always feel crushed by life, and how to rebuild mental order using one of the most ancient tools.
这是一篇关于你的大脑如何运作、为何你总是感到被生活压垮、以及如何通过一种最古老的工具重建精神秩序的认知宣言

If we are to explore this deeply, we cannot stay on the surface.
如果我们要深入探讨这个问题,我们不能只停留在表面。

We need to dive into the depths of your subconscious and dissect the biological instincts that stop you from acting.
我们需要潜入你的潜意识深处,解剖那些阻止你行动的生物本能

Please find a quiet place; this will require about 30 minutes of deep reading.
请找一个安静的地方。这需要你大约 30 分钟的深度阅读时间。


Part 1: Attention

第一部分:注意力

— We do not die from laziness; we die from ambiguity.
—— 我们并不是死于懒惰,而是死于模糊。

In this era, if you ask anyone, Why haven't you finished that task?
在这个时代,如果你去问任何一个人:你为什么没有做完那件事?

The answer is usually a monotonous self-attack: Because I am too lazy, I have procrastination issues, or I lack self-discipline.
得到的答案通常是千篇一律的自我攻击:因为我太懒了我有拖延症我缺乏自律

Society instills a toxic idea in you: action is a moral issue.
社会灌输给你一种有毒的观念:行动力是道德问题

If you don't move, it means you are a bad person, or a weak person.
如果你不动,说明你是个坏人,或者是个软弱的人。

This is a complete lie.
这是一个彻底的谎言。

It could even be said that this is a scam meticulously woven by modern society to keep you anxious.
甚至可以说,这是一个现代社会为了让你保持焦虑而精心编织的骗局。

Please carefully recall that feeling of procrastination.
请仔细回想一下那种拖延的感觉。

When you sit in front of the computer, facing a project that will take a week, or when you decide to change your life situation but don't know where to start.
当你坐在电脑前,面对那个需要耗费一周时间的项目,或者当你决定要改变生活现状却不知从何下手时。

Is what you feel really laziness?
你感受到的真的是吗?

Laziness is a state of relaxation, a cozy feeling of not wanting to move.
是一种放松的状态,是一种不想动的惬意。

But what you feel right now is a racing heart, a heaviness in your chest, and a thousand thoughts screaming in your mind.
但你此刻感受到的,是心跳加速,是胸口的闷重感,是脑海中无数个念头在尖叫。

It is a physiological panic, a constant readiness to flee.
是一种随时准备逃跑的生理恐慌。

You are not lazy; on the contrary, your brain is running at full speed.
你并不懒惰。相反,你的大脑正在全速运转

It is spinning so fast that the gears have locked up and black smoke is coming out.
它转得太快了,以至于齿轮咬死,冒出了黑烟。

In cognitive science, this state is called Paralysis by Analysis.
这种状态,在认知科学中被称为瘫痪性焦虑

The Invisible Enemy
看不见的敌人

Human evolution did not prepare us for modern life.
人类的进化并没有为现代生活做好准备。

For hundreds of thousands of years, the threats our ancestors faced were concrete: a tiger, a storm, or a hostile tribe.
在几十万年的时间里,我们的祖先面对的威胁都是具体的:一只老虎、一场暴风雨、或者一个敌对部落。

Faced with specific threats, our response was rapid: fight, or flight.
面对具体的威胁,我们的反应是迅速的:战斗,或者逃跑

But what does modern life give you?
但现代生活给你的是什么?

Complete the annual strategic plan, Improve personal core competitiveness, Find the meaning of life.
完成年度战略规划提升个人核心竞争力找寻人生的意义

These things all share one common trait: extreme abstraction.
这些东西都有一个共同点:极度抽象

Your primal brain cannot process abstraction.
你的原始大脑无法处理抽象

It does not know what write a report means.
它不知道写一份报告意味着什么。

In its cognition, this is like a huge, indescribable monster lurking in a dense fog.
在它的认知里,这就像是一团迷雾中潜伏的巨大的、不可名状的怪物。

Because it cannot see the boundaries of this monster, it can only assume the monster is infinitely large.
因为它看不清这个怪物的边界,它只能假设这个怪物是无限大的

Thus, your instinctual response triggers.
于是,你的本能反应启动了。

To protect you from this infinite monster, your brain cuts off the action commands to your muscles; it freezes you in place.
为了保护你免受这个无限大怪物的伤害,你的大脑切断了通往肌肉的行动指令。它把你冻结在原地。

You open your phone and start scrolling through short videos.
你打开手机,开始刷短视频。

You are not entertaining yourself; you are seeking tiny dopamine hits to numb the fear of the unknown.
你不是在娱乐,你是在通过寻找微小的多巴胺刺激,来麻痹那种面对未知的恐惧。

You think you are procrastinating on work, but in reality, you are escaping ambiguity.
你以为你在拖延工作,实际上你是在逃避模糊

All mental exhaustion stems from the brain trying to calculate the incalculable.
所有的精神内耗,都源于大脑试图计算那些不可计算的东西

You try to simulate every future step in your head, but it is like trying to play a complex game of chess without a board.
你试图在脑子里模拟未来的每一步,但这就像试图在没有棋盘的情况下下一场复杂的国际象棋。

Eventually, you collapse.
最终,你崩溃了。

The first thing we need to understand is: it is not your will that is broken, it is your operating interface that is broken.
我们需要明白的第一件事是:不是你的意愿出了问题,是你的“操作界面”出了问题。


Part 2: Perspective

第二部分:视角

— Cognitive Offloading and the Brain's Bandwidth Crisis
—— 认知卸载与大脑的“带宽危机”

To understand why simple disassembly and listing can save you, we need to pry open your skull like an engineer to see how the circuits inside are connected.
为了理解为什么简单的拆解与清单能拯救你,我们需要像工程师一样拆开你的头盖骨,看看里面的线路是如何连接的。

1. The Bottleneck of Working Memory: You Only Have 4KB of RAM
1. 工作记忆的瓶颈:你的内存只有4KB

Although your long-term memory capacity is staggering, your Working Memory—the area you use for thinking, deciding, and processing information right now—is very limited.
虽然你的长期记忆容量惊人,但你的工作记忆——也就是你当下用来思考、决策、处理信息的区域——是非常有限的。

Classic psychological studies show that human working memory can only hold about 4 to 7 units of information at a time.
经典的心理学研究表明,人类的工作记忆只能同时容纳约 4 到 7 个单位的信息。

When you face an undissected complex task (like renovating a house), you try to process simultaneously in your head:
当你面对一个未拆解的复杂任务(比如装修房子)时,你试图在脑子里同时处理:

What is the budget?
预算是多少?

Should I find workers first or buy materials first?
先找工人还是先买材料?

What if I choose the wrong color?
如果你选错了颜色怎么办?

What is the current trend?
现在的流行风格是什么?

What comes next after this step?
这一步做完下一步是什么?

In this instant, hundreds of variables flood into your memory that can only hold 7 units.
这一瞬间,成百上千个变量涌入你那只能容纳 7 个单位的内存。

The result is inevitable: System Overload.
结果是注定的:系统过载

When the brain feels the calculation volume exceeds its load, its self-protection mechanism is to crash.
当大脑觉得运算量超过了它的负荷,它的自我保护机制就是死机

The external manifestation of this crash is you staring blankly at the screen, or turning around to wash dishes or pour coffee.
这种死机在外在表现上,就是你盯着屏幕发呆,或者转身去洗碗、去倒咖啡。

You do those chores because the cognitive load of chores is extremely low. It makes you feel safe.
你去做那些琐事,是因为琐事的认知负荷极低。那让你感到安全。

2. The Zeigarnik Effect and Background Energy Consumption
2. 蔡格尼克效应与后台能耗

There is an even more insidious killer: the Zeigarnik Effect.
还有一个更隐蔽的杀手:蔡格尼克效应

Psychology has found that humans have a compulsive memory for unfinished tasks.
心理学发现,人类对于未完成的任务有着强迫性的记忆。

As long as a task is not closed, your brain will continue to allocate resources in the background to watch it.
只要一个任务没有闭环,你的大脑就会在后台持续分配资源去盯着它。

Imagine if you have ten vague, undissected major tasks in your head.
试想一下,如果你脑子里有十个模糊的、未拆解的大任务。

This is equivalent to running ten large games in the background of your phone; although your screen only shows a messaging app, your battery is draining at an alarming rate, and the device is heating up.
这就相当于你的手机在后台开了十个大型游戏,虽然你现在的屏幕上只显示着微信,但你的电池正在以惊人的速度耗尽,机身发烫。

This is why you feel exhausted even when you haven't done anything all day.
这就是为什么你明明一天什么都没做,却觉得精疲力竭。

Because your energy is consumed by background monitoring of unfinished tasks, not by advancing tasks.
因为你的能量都消耗在了维持未完成任务的后台监控上,而不是消耗在推进任务上。

3. Construal Level Theory: Distance Creates Fear
3. 解释水平理论:距离产生恐惧

How we view a task depends on psychological distance.
我们如何看待一个任务,取决于心理距离。

Long distance (Abstract): You see the difficulty and significance of the task.
远距离(抽象):你会看到任务的难度意义

Close distance (Concrete): You see the operational details of the task.
近距离(具体):你会看到任务的操作细节

When you only have a goal (write a book) without a list, you are in the long-distance perspective.
当你只有目标(写书)而没有清单时,你处于远距离视角

You see writing a book is hard and what if no one reads it. These are emotional resistances.
你看到的是写书好难万一没人看怎么办。这些都是情绪层面的阻力。

When you break the task down into a list (open document, write chapter one title), you force the brain into the close-distance perspective.
当你把任务拆解为清单(打开文档写下第一章标题)时,你强制将大脑拉到了近距离视角

In this perspective, there is no meaning, no fear, only mechanical physical actions.
在这个视角下,没有意义,没有恐惧,只有机械的物理动作

A list is not just a memo; it is a pair of dimension-reduction glasses.
清单不仅仅是备忘录,它是一副降维眼镜

It reduces high-dimensional, emotionally stressful challenges into low-dimensional, boring but safe mechanical labor.
它把高维度的、充满情感压力的挑战,降维成了低维度的、枯燥但安全的机械劳动。

And this is exactly what we want.
而这,正是我们想要的。

We do not need to seek stimulation in work (that is the source of fear); we need to seek certainty in work.
我们不需要在工作中寻求刺激(那是恐惧的来源),我们需要在工作中寻求确定性


Part 3: Advantage

第三部分:优势

— Why “Disassembly” Is the Highest Level Cognitive Strategy
—— 为什么“拆解”是最高级的认知策略

Once we understand the brain's flaws, the solution becomes obvious.
一旦我们理解了大脑的缺陷,解决之道就变得显而易见。

Disassembling and writing a list logically achieves three key reversals.
拆解并写成清单,在逻辑上实现了三个关键的逆转。

1. Externalization: Building a Second Brain
1. 外部化:第二大脑的构建

Writing down what is in your head is not about fear of forgetting; it is about stopping thinking.
把你脑子里的东西写下来,不是为了怕忘记,而是为了停止思考

When you write the steps of a task on paper, you are actually outsourcing the storage and sorting functions of your brain to that paper.
当你把任务的步骤写在纸上时,你实际上是将大脑的存储功能和排序功能外包给了这张纸。

That paper becomes your external RAM.
这张纸成为了你的外挂内存

Your brain no longer needs to spend energy remembering what to do next.
你的大脑不再需要花费能量去记住下一步做什么

Your brain no longer needs to spend energy worrying about did I miss anything.
你的大脑不再需要花费能量去焦虑有没有漏掉什么

This instantly releases precious cognitive bandwidth.
这瞬间释放了宝贵的认知带宽

You are like a computer that has unloaded all background programs; now all computing power can focus on the single window: the current action.
你就想一台卸载了所有后台程序的电脑,现在所有的算力都可以集中在唯一的一个窗口上:当前的动作

Focus, essentially, is a state of full-bandwidth operation.
专注,本质上就是一种全带宽运作的状态。

If you don't write it down, you can never be full-bandwidth because you always have to reserve a part of your brain power to watch over those unfinished thoughts.
你不写下来,你就永远无法全带宽,因为你总得留一部分脑力去看管那些未完成的思绪。

2. The Complete Separation of Decision and Execution
2. 决策与执行的彻底分离

This is the core method for defeating procrastination.
这是战胜拖延的核心心法。

In any complex action, there are two roles:
在任何复杂的行动中,都存在两个角色:

The Planner (Commander): Responsible for reviewing the situation, setting routes, and arranging priorities. This is high-energy rational brain work.
指挥官:负责审视局势、制定路线、安排先后顺序。这是高能耗的理性脑工作。

The Doer (Soldier): Responsible for swinging the sword, moving bricks, and typing. This is low-energy mechanical brain work.
士兵:负责挥剑、搬砖、敲键盘。这是低能耗的机械脑工作。

The biggest mistake procrastinators make is trying to play both roles simultaneously.
拖延症患者最大的错误,就是试图同时扮演这两个角色

You write a sentence, then think, What should I write next?
你写一句,想一句接下来写啥

You take a step, then think, Is this right?
你做一步,想一步这样对不对

You exhaust your willpower in switching costs.
你在切换成本中耗尽了意志力。

The List is the military order issued by the commander.
清单就是指挥官下达的军令状。

When you are in this phase (disassembly phase), you are the supreme commander. You calmly plan everything and eliminate all logical obstacles.
当你在这个阶段(拆解阶段),你是最高统帅。你冷静地规划好了一切,排除了所有逻辑障碍。

When you enter the next phase (execution phase), you only need to be a blindly obedient soldier.
当你进入下一个阶段(执行阶段),你只需要做一个盲目服从的士兵

The soldier doesn't need to think what is the meaning of this, nor worry is the strategy correct.
士兵不需要思考这有什么意义,士兵不需要担心战略对不对

The soldier only needs to look at the first line on the list and execute it.
士兵只需要看一眼清单上的第一行字,然后去执行它。

By pre-deciding, you eliminate hesitation during action.
通过预先决策,你消除了行动时的犹豫。

And in physics, hesitation is friction. Eliminate friction, and action becomes as smooth as ice skating.
而在物理学中,犹豫就是摩擦力。消除了摩擦力,行动就会像滑冰一样顺畅。

3. The Dopamine "Progress Bar Hacker"
3. 多巴胺的“进度条骇客”

The brain is a reward-driven machine. It is even more short-sighted than you imagine.
大脑是奖励驱动的机器。它甚至比你想象的更短视。

For a project that takes three months to complete (like losing weight or writing a thesis), the primal areas of the brain cannot feel the reward.
对于一个三个月后才能完成的项目(比如减肥、写论文),大脑的原始区域是感受不到奖励的。

This is called Temporal Discounting.
这被称为时间贴现

Happiness three months from now is not as good as a piece of cake right now. This is an evolutionary setting.
**三个月后的快乐,不如现在的一块蛋糕。**这是进化的设定。

But when you break a large task into 20 tiny steps, you hack the reward mechanism by tricking the brain.
但是,当你把大任务拆解成 20 个微小的步骤时,你通过欺骗大脑,重写了奖励机制。

Every time you tick off a small item on the list, the brain receives a tiny, immediate sense of achievement.
每当你划掉清单上的一个小项,大脑就会获得一次微小的、即时的成就感。

Even if it is something as insignificant as create a folder, the moment you cross it out, the brain releases a trace of dopamine.
哪怕只是建立了文件夹这么微不足道的小事,划掉它的那一刻,大脑都会分泌微量的多巴胺

Do not underestimate this trace of dopamine. It is your fuel.
不要小看这微量的多巴胺。它是你的燃料。

By creating dense small victories, you build a positive feedback loop.
你通过创造密集的小胜利,构建了一个正向反馈循环

You are no longer holding on with depleted willpower; you are surfing on the constant feeling of winning.
你不再是靠着枯竭的意志力在硬撑,你是靠着不断获得的赢的感觉在冲浪。

This is the principle of games. Why are games addictive? Because tasks are clear and feedback is immediate.
这就是游戏的原理。游戏为什么让人上瘾?因为任务清晰,反馈即时

A list turns your boring work into a game where you can constantly score points.
清单,就是把你枯燥的工作,变成了一场你可以不断得分的游戏。


Part 4: Gamify

第四部分:游戏化

— How to Build Your “Absolute Action System”
—— 如何构建你的“绝对行动系统”

Okay, enough theory. Now we need an executable protocol.
好了,理论已经足够。现在我们需要一套可执行的协议。

Do not treat this as advice; treat it as code that must be executed.
不要把这当成建议,把它当成必须执行的代码

When facing resistance, please follow the four phases below.
当面对阻力时,请按照以下四个阶段操作。

Phase 1: The Commander Session
第一阶段:指挥官时间

Rule: In this phase, no actual work is allowed. Only planning.
规则:在这个阶段,禁止执行任何实际工作。只做规划。

1. Brain Dump
1. 清空大脑

Find a blank piece of paper and dump all the thoughts, worries, and to-dos regarding this task out of your head.
找一张白纸,把脑子里关于这个任务的所有杂念、担忧、待办项全部倒出来。

Ignore the order, just write it down. This step is to clear your RAM.
不管顺序,写下来。这一步是为了清空你的内存

2. Reverse Engineering
2. 倒序拆解法

Do not start thinking from the first step; it is easy to get stuck.
不要从第一步开始想,那很容易卡住。

Start from the end and work backwards.
从终点开始往回推。

What is the state of task completion? -> Send report to boss.
任务完成的状态是什么? -> 报告发给老板。

What is the step before sending to the boss? -> Check formatting.
发给老板前一步是什么? -> 检查格式。

Before that? -> Consolidate data charts.
再前一步? -> 整合数据图表。

Continue deducing until the very first action the current me can take.
一直推导到现在的我可以做的第一个动作。

3. Atomic Granularity
3. 原子化颗粒度

Check your list. This is the key to success or failure.
检查你的清单。这是成败的关键。

If the list says think about the plan, it is unqualified. Because thinking is vague.
如果清单上写着思考方案,这是不合格的。因为思考是模糊的。

Change it to: List 3 possible directions or Scribble on paper for 5 minutes.
把它改成:列出3个可能的方向或者在纸上乱写5分钟

Standard: Every step must be a physical action that you can start without using your brain.
标准:任何一步,必须是不需要动脑子就能直接上手的物理动作

Phase 2: Visual Isolation
第二阶段:视觉隔离

Rule: Never let the soldier see the cruelty of the entire battlefield.
规则:永远不要让士兵看到整个战场的残酷

If you go to execute with a list of 50 tasks, your amygdala will scream again.
如果你拿着一张列了50项任务的清单去执行,你的杏仁核会再次尖叫。

We must use the Spotlight Strategy.
我们要使用聚光灯策略

Use a piece of paper to cover items 2 through 50 on the list.
用一张纸,遮住清单的第2项到第50项。

Only reveal item 1.
只露出第1项。

Tell your brain: I don't ask you to finish the whole project. I only ask you to do this one thing. After this, we are free.
告诉你的大脑:我不要求你做完整个项目。我只要求你做这一件事。做完这件,我们就自由了

This is a psychological trick, but it is extremely effective. It compresses the scope of fear to the minimum.
这是一种心理欺骗,但极其有效。它把恐惧的范围压缩到了最小。

Phase 3: The Launch Protocol
第三阶段:启动协议

Rule: Lower the threshold until it is absurd.
规则:降低门槛,直到荒谬为止

If you look at the first item on the list and still can't move, what does it mean?
如果你看着清单的第一项,依然动不了,说明什么?

It means you haven't broken it down enough, or your expectations are too high.
说明你拆得还不够细,或者你的预期太高。

Permission to Start Poorly
烂开始允许权

Change write a brilliant opening to write a pile of garbage.
写出精彩的开头改成写出一坨垃圾

When you allow yourself to create garbage, the pressure of perfectionism disappears.
当你允许自己做垃圾时,完美主义的压力就消失了。

Usually, once you start writing garbage, you find it's not that bad, and you can't stop.
通常情况下,一旦你开始写垃圾,你会发现它其实并没有那么糟,而且你已经停不下来了。

The Two-Minute Rule
两分钟法则

Tell yourself: I will only do this for two minutes. If I don't want to do it after two minutes, I will stop.
告诉自己:我只做这件事两分钟。两分钟后如果不想做了,我就停下来

This is not lying to yourself. If you really don't want to do it, stop.
这不是骗自己。如果你真不想做了,就停下。

But physical inertia will usually keep you going.
但物理惯性通常会让你继续做下去。

Phase 4: The Hemingway Bridge
第四阶段:收尾的艺术

Rule: Paving the way for your future self.
规则:为明天的自己铺路

Famous writer Hemingway had a habit: he never wrote out all the inspiration for the day. He would stop when writing most smoothly, leaving half a sentence on the paper.
著名作家海明威有一个习惯:他从不写完一天的所有灵感。他会在写得最顺手的时候停下来,留半个句子在纸上。

Why?
为什么?

Because the next morning, he didn't need to face a terrifying blank page. He just needed to finish that half sentence.
因为第二天早上,他不需要面对一张可怕的白纸。他只需要把那半个句子写完。

This move is brilliant. It uses our desire for closure.
这一招极其高明。它利用了我们对完形的渴望。

When you end your day's work, don't just shut down.
当你结束一天的工作时,不要只是关机。

Spend 5 minutes listing the first three tiny steps for tomorrow.
花5分钟,列好明天的前三个微小步骤。

Make your starting action for tomorrow as simple as breathing.
把你明天的起步动作,做得像呼吸一样简单。

This way, tomorrow you won't need to consume any startup energy to slide directly into orbit.
这样,明天的你不需要消耗任何启动能量,就能直接滑入轨道。


Conclusion

结语

We live in a universe full of uncertainty.
我们生活在一个充满了不确定性的宇宙中。

This uncertainty is the source of pain, the breeding ground for anxiety, and the root cause of procrastination.
这种不确定性是痛苦的来源,是焦虑的温床,是拖延的根本原因。

You cannot control the chaos of the external world, but you can control the way you handle chaos.
你无法控制外部世界的混乱,但你可以控制你应对混乱的方式。

Disassembling and listing is not a lowly administrative measure; it is a form of existential heroism.
拆解并列清单不是一种卑微的行政手段,它是一种存在主义的英雄主义

It means you refuse to be crushed by a huge, vague fate.
它意味着你拒绝被巨大的、模糊的命运压垮。

It means you use your reason (the Commander) to dismember that invincible monster into small chunks of meat you can swallow.
它意味着你运用你的理性(指挥官),将那个不可战胜的怪物,肢解成了一块块你可以吞下的小肉块。

When you look at the clear list, when you cross out each small box, you are not just finishing work.
当你看着清晰的清单,当你划掉每一个小方格时,你不仅仅是在完成工作。

You are confirming your sovereignty over life.
你在确认你对生活的主权

The road is still long, and the mountain is still high.
路依然很长,山依然很高。

But right now, you don't need to look at the summit.
但此刻,你不需要看山顶。

Look at your feet.
看脚下。

Cross this item out.
划掉这一项。

Then, the next item.
然后,下一项。

Action is the only truth.
行动,是唯一的真理。